A Westbury engine from new in November 1947, No 6978 was transferred to Laira (83D) in December 1953 and later assigned to Old Oak Common (81A) for close on seven years before completing its service in South Wales.
This branch dates from 1853, being part of the very early line built between Taunton and Weymouth.
Here are two shots taken on Saturday 2 June 1962, the first showing Laira's 'Hall' class No 5917 Westminster Hall entering Durston station from the Bristol direction at the head of train V31, the 7.43am SO Nottingham - Plymouth; in the background 2-6-2T No 5563 of 72C Yeovil Town awaits clear signals to cross the main line for the line to Yeovil.
The other five were bay platforms for the branch trains.(Below) This view of the Castle Carey Junction from the A371 road bridge shows 'Hall' class No 5974 Wallsworth Hall of Westbury (82D) departing on the line to Weymouth with a semi-fast train for Yeovil on Saturday 10 September 1955.
No 5974 was almost exclusively assigned to Westbury depot right up to late 1964 before it moved to Severn Tunnel Junction, its final resting place.
Many stretches of the route from Savernake (70 miles out from London) to Taunton (142¾ miles) enabled the 'King' and 'Castle' Class locos to show their speed capabilities.